Sunday, April 3, 2011

My Wifey Is Running the BOSTON MARATHON!!


Hey Everyone!
This week has been very exciting.  As mentioned in my last post, one of my best friends got married last Saturday, and it was an AWESOME weekend filled with fun and lots of LOVE!  Between Vincent’s HUGE family, and Alison’s rambunctious/ridiculous group of friends, it was truly an unforgettable night!  I was so honored to be a part of the day that marked the start of a new life for Mr. and Mrs. Coglianese!! Congrats you two!
The Newly-weds!
 Traditional BHS Class of 2004 photo!
In addition to the wedding, I was “thrown back into the real world” when I started my student teaching placement this past Wednesday at Knowlton Elementary School.  I am so happy to report that after only 3 days of being there, I already know I am going to LOVE it!  All of the staff I’ve met thus far have been so friendly and accommodating and the kids are all super adorable as well!  Even though I was, (and still am), a little nervous about starting to do therapy again after a 4 month hiatus, I think I will eventually get back into gear and be able to learn a lot from my supervisor, the teachers and the kids at Knowlton!  Yay!
**********************************************************************************************
Now after that quick update, I’ll get to the real point of today’s post!  About 3 months ago, (around Christmas-time), I was catching up on the phone with my close friend and former college roommate, Meghan.  **Sidenote: Meggo, (as I fondly call her), and I immediately connected when we met on move-in day during our freshmen year at the University of Delaware wayyyy back in 2004. Ha!  When I left home for college, I was extremely nervous about leaving behind my very close group of friends from Bangor, so I was SO THANKFUL when I met Meghan.  From the beginning, I felt like I had known her my entire life.  She and I shared so many likes, dislikes and opinions that it was almost unbelievable that we hadn't met before!  In addition, she ALWAYS listened when I talked about the friends that I missed so dearly from back home, she understood and matched my incessant use of sarcasm AND she laughed at my lame jokes ALL THE TIME!  That's a friend right there, folks!  And even though she moved back to Boston after that glorious year at UD together, we have continued to stay very close over the past few years -- We're even so close that we've been 'married' on Facebook since she created my acount for me in 2005! (Hence, the "wifey" reference in the title of this post.) 
Meggo & I at our favorite place in Newark during the Summer of''05!
Anyway, at one point during that phone conversation Meghan and I were having back in December, Meghan shared that she would be running in the 2011 BOSTON MARATHON in April!  In addition to being incredibly proud of Meghan for taking on such a huge challenge, I was also extremely touched when she shared that she’d be running the marathon in honor of her mom Mary, (who battled AND BEAT breast cancer), and ME!!  

Now, as I’ve mentioned plenty of times in the past, I continue to be in awe of how generous and supportive all of my friends and family have been since being diagnosed with CNS Lymphoma back in December -- I’ve received a countless amount of cards, gifts and prayers, which have all been appreciated more than words!  However, the news that Meggo was going to do this for me was  one of the best and most thoughtful “gifts” that I had received.  There is truly something about being honored by a friend who is willing to go through the blood, sweat and tears of training for a MAJOR athletic event, that really makes me stop and think, “Wow, people are great!”  

So with that being said, I wanted to do what I could to thank Meggo for her awesome gift to me by asking YOU, yes YOU!!! to help Meghan raise the $1000 she has set as her fundraising goal for the Boston Marathon.  More information is provided below about the Vernon Cancer Center that all of her fundraising efforts will go towards.  The following letter is what Meghan sent to her friends and family members, explaining her involvement in the Boston Marathon:
"Dear Friends and Family,
As many of you know, I am currently in training to run my first Boston Marathon on April 18th. I'm so glad the weather is cooperating so well with the fact that I currently have to run outside five days a week! I am running this marathon for both myself and two of the most important women in my life - my superstar mom, Mary, and my college roommate and best friend, Casey.
Because cancer has affected all of us in one way or another, my team and I are running in support of the Vernon Cancer Center at Newton Wellesley Hospital. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in late 2005. She received her cancer treatment under the care of the the doctors, nurses and staff members at Newton Wellesley Hospital and has been cancer free since 2007! My mom is my role model, my daily inspiration, my support system, my friend and on most days, my sanity. I will forever be grateful to the Vernon staff for the phenomenal treatment, resources and care my mom received. She is even considering running the last few miles with me!
My dear friend Casey is currently battling Primary CNS Lymphoma and is about to start her second (and hopefully final!) round of chemotherapy. Casey is one of the nicest, funniest, most caring people I have ever had the chance to meet - she must be if she put up with sharing a tiny room with me my first year away from home! She introduced me to a lot of the things I consider important in my life - a capella music, taking too many pictures, improv comedy and the fact that there is life outside the city of Boston. :) I am hoping that Casey will be officially cancer free when I cross the finish line!
I have a goal of raising $1,000 for this very important cause, but I can only do it with your help. While I know that times are tough, any donation is appreciated. Everytime I think that running is hard or I'm tired or in pain, I remind myself that cancer doesn't take a day off, and neither can I. "Impossible is Nothing." 
Thank you so much in advance for your support - it means so much to me!
Love,
Meghan"

More information on how to donate to the marathon team Meghan is a part of:
On Monday, April 18, 2011, a team from Newton-Wellesley Hospital will once again be running in the Boston Marathon. These athletes are going the distance to raise money for the Vernon Cancer Center and its Integrative Support Services.

Each runner is asked to raise $1,000 with the "Elite" runners raising $3,000 each to support these life-enhancing programs, which make such a difference to our cancer patients and their families. TEAM NWH raised over $25,000 in 2010 Many thanks to all who supported our Boston Marathon Team!!!!!

Supporting the Runners
Online
Use our secure on-line giving site to make a gift with your VISA, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover card. https://www.nwh.org/your-community-hospital/ways-to-give/charitable-giving/gift-information/

Be sure to select "2011 Team NWH Boston Marathon Team" in the Gift Designation section. Then, please type in the name of the runner you are supporting in the "In Honor of" box. This way, you can be assured that the runner will receive "credit" for the gift and that the runner will be notified of your gift. [**This is where you would type ‘Meghan McLean’].  If you wish to make an "In honor of/In memory of" gift as well, please include the details in the "Additional information about this tribute gift" box. [**This is where you would type my name if you want to, although it is not necessary. The more important part is above where you type Meghan’s name.]

By Telephone
To charge your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover card over the phone, please call us at 617-243-6243.

By Mail
You may send a check, made payable to "NWH Charitable Foundation" directly to:
Newton-Wellesley Hospital Charitable Foundation
Attn: Boston Marathon Team
2014 Washington Street
Newton, MA 02462
If applicable, please indicate on the check which runner you are supporting. **Again, the runner you are supporting with your donation is Meghan McLean.

Matching Gifts
Your gift may be increased if you work for a company with a matching gift program. Spouse and retiree gifts may also be matched. Please contact your company's human resources or benefits department for details. Your matching gift form may be sent to the address shown above.
All gifts in support of Newton-Wellesley Hospital are tax-deductible to the extent provided by law, and you will receive a tax receipt by mail after your gift has been received.
Thank you for supporting the Vernon Cancer Center at Newton-Wellesley Hospital!
**********************************************************************************************
If you have any further questions about donating, please let me know and I will get back to you as soon as possible!  Please help ME help MEGGO reach her fundraising goal!  And Meggo, thank you so much for this important gift you are giving me and your mom.  Your are truly an inspiration and I can’t wait to travel up to Boston in 2 weeks to witness you crossing that finish line!  I LOVE YOU!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome of Meaghan! I made my donation!! GOOD LUCK MEG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! What a true and loving friend you have!

    Notes She Wrote

    ReplyDelete